I’m writing a small piece of work in golang. It’s been fun to learn a new language. Initial thoughts:
- I love the strict compiler. It saved me from making some dumb mistakes. It’s annoying at times (when you are cleaning up after println debugging you have to remove the log import statement).
- I love that go fmt is built right into the language. No more formatting wars.
- The standard library has some testing support but it’s pretty primitive.
- It was weird that you have way to mark methods as private.
- I did a small bit of concurrency work and go seems like a great fit for that.
- The docs are great. I spent a lot of time on the Tour and the API docs.
- The name is too general, but when googling, I was able to search for ‘golang’ and retrieve good results.
I have a few friends that rave about go. I can see why.