More questions, this time about SQS, the simple queue service that AWS provides.
- What was the first AWS service?
- SQS was! Launched in 2004.
- Are there upper limits on limits on SQS in terms of message/second?
- Can you create alarms based on the number of messages in a queue?
- Yes, that is a metric that Cloudwatch tracks: “NumberOfMessagesSent”. You can use this in combination with an auto scaling group to handle batch processes in a dynamic manner (scale out when you have more work in the queue, scale in when you have less).
- What is the maximum visibility timeout for SQS?